Thursday, March 14, 2019

Week 8- Bus Stop Safety Team

After assembling our team in class on March 5th team members met in the library on March 7th and chose the topic of bus stop safety. Three members of the team are or have been bus riders to the UNLV campus and are well aware of some of the safety and comfort issues that affect riders in the valley. We decided to focus on the dangers of oncoming traffic hitting stops, prolonged exposure to direct sunlight in 100F+ temperatures, bus stops that protrude onto sidewalks and force some pedestrians to walk in the street and bus stops in poorly lit areas.

Team members and preliminary duties:
Stephanie- Research, writing, editing
Miranda- code research and plan design
Jenifer- writing and ethical angle
Rafael- writing and implementation

Over the next two weeks I will be photographing bus stops and using Google Street View to identify both problematic bus stops and exemplary bus stops that can serve as models. I may also look into the inequality of some bus stops having seen a very posh Downtown Summerlin bus stop in an RTC Instagram post yesterday,

I will be meeting with UNLV's engineering librarian to learn more efficient ways of researching codes and health and safety information. The health and safety aspect relates more to my role on UNLV's Solar Decathlon team but I think that it will also be helpful on this project.