Friday, March 15, 2019

Week 8 Day 2

The first thing that came to mind while reading the Michael Davis piece was what I've read about the tragedy of the commons. As much as I try not to contribute to the destruction of ecosystems and habitats my very existence as a first world citizen means I am doing so at an alarming rate. I recycle but how much of that is just being burned or buried? I try to walk when I can but drive at least four days out of the week.

I think of somewhat radical tweets I've seen where people point out that the rich CEOs and politicians who are largely responsible for the situation we are trapped in are indeed forces we can control if an angry mob shows up at their addresses. While a repeat of the Reign of Terror is probably never advisable as we inch closer and closer to irrevocable damage of the environment I don't know what the answer is.

This article also made me think that for major projects or organizations there needs to be someone who is culpable. CEOs claim they earn their exorbitant pay by taking risks; why should they not then be held responsible for the wrongdoings of their organization?