Thursday, February 7, 2019

Week 3 Day 2 Rachels Chapter 11 and 12

Yesterday before I read Rachels chapters 11 and 12 I read  several article about how insulin prices have increased by 1000% with no changes to formula or production. Some articles profiled families and friends of type 1 diabetics who had rationed their insulin because of the price and subsequently died*. I thought to myself how I would respond if I were diabetic or if a loved one were. I imagined stealing insulin and also looked into production, as though I could create a guerrilla biotechnology facility to produce it.

When I read the chapter 11 example about overpriced medication the children's reactions were familiar. While I think compromise and negotiation are important aspects of human interactions, pharmaceutical companies have shown time and time again that they value profit over human life. If they have no moral qualms over killing people by denying them medicine, why should anyone affected have any qualms about retaliating or stealing their product?

A different example about vegetarianism on page 170 also caught my eye. I eat a mostly plant-based diet. I don't call myself vegan because I slip up occasionally, have to take prescription animal-based vitamin D, don't want people who aren't vegetarians/vegans to feel I am judging them and also don't want to be judged by "real vegetarians." The example talked about how people don't feel an obligation to animals at a slaughterhouse because they haven't met them or formed a bond. I remembered how years ago I used to occasionally eat turkey at Thanksgiving until I volunteered at an animal rescue and actually met turkeys. After cuddling them, gobbling back and forth and petting their weird faces I couldn't eat turkey again after that, just like I've never been tempted to eat a dog, cat or parakeet.



*https://wset.com/news/spotlight-on-america/woman-says-her-son-couldnt-afford-his-insulin-now-hes-dead-01-22-2019-132402770