Thursday, February 14, 2019

Week 4 Day 2 The Parable of the Sadhu

Are we supposed to walk away from this reading wishing that everyone aside from Stephen and the Sadhu had died in an avalanche? Because that's how I felt.

Most of what I read and experience as a human in a capitalist society demonstrates that successful corporations* and business people gain that success by disregarding the detrimental effects on others that their actions have.

I really can't tell if this piece is supposed to be a mea culpa from the author who thought his extremely privileged and environmentally degrading trip to the Himalayas was more important than a human life or if he really wants to hold it forward as an example of effective corporate ethics. Ooof, I just googled him and he's serious about it being ethical.

The few times I have seen an human or animal in need of help and I haven't helped them I've been haunted by it. I can't pass up something as undesirable as an injured pigeon without helping it. I think I'd be a terrible corporate leader.




*There are exceptions of course, like Bob's Red Mill.